Monday, June 05, 2006

Finishing out the old week before starting a new one.

Here I am at work, trying to get geared up to actually do something productive and I figure that since I have to write more on my dissertation, I might as well "prime the pump" and write a weekend workout report on my blog. (That still seems funny to me, that I am actually "blogging.")
I don't feel like being overly creative today, so I'll just lay it out without any drama.

Friday afternoon I had to go get my car from the shop before they closed at 6pm, but I wanted to get in a swim after work at 4. I got hung up at work, but did manage to get myself into the pool for a short workout. It was only about 750 yards total, but it felt good to get into the water nonetheless. Fortunately for me, I had ridden my bike to work in the morning and had already put in about 15 miles on the bike. The next big advantage was that I only had my bike to get me to the shop to pick up my car, so I got another 5 miles in there. It was certainly a light day as workouts are concerned, but I needed to rest a little after the tempo run on Thursday. I was almost dreading Saturday's run because my legs were so sore and tired...

I ended up staying up way too late Friday night. I think Cynthia needed me to go to the grocery store for a few things and I didn't get out of the house until 9:30 or so. Mind you, I am long asleep most days by 8:30, so I was up pretty late. I guess I finally fell asleep around 11:00 or 11:30 Friday night and slept right through my 5:05 alarm Saturday morning. I slept in until 7:30, which by my calculations means I actually got eight hours of sleep that night. First time in over a month! I got up and the kids were kind enough to stay asleep until 8, so I go in a half hour of yoga and then went for my 10-mile run. The temperature was almost perfect and the humidity was so low, it felt like I wasn't in Tennessee at all. I ran the 10 miles in 1:20, so it was a bit slower than I had originally intended, but I didn't struggle with the gremlin inside. It was a good, solid workout, and although I hate to admit it, the first time I had run 10 miles since the Country Music Marathon in late April.

The rest of the day was family day. I wanted to steal some time away for a bike ride, but when you get up three hours late, you are going to have to sacrifice something. I suppose I needed the sleep more than the ride... Unfortunately, I didn't get to bed before 10:30 Saturday night and was up at 6:30 for early Sunday meetings. I spent most of Sunday quite tired (and grumpy, Cynthia tells me.) I was really afraid I wouldn't have the energy to get back into my regular work routine this morning. I didn't ride my bike to work, which bothers me a little, but I am feeling quite energized, so I can probably get in a good workout this afternoon.

No comments: