Wednesday, September 02, 2009

The New Me

I just realized that I haven't posted to this blog in nearly fifteen months. That's almost embarrassing to me.
At long last, I have finished my education. On Monday, August 31, 2009, I successfully defended my Ph.D. dissertation and became "Dr. Infanger." The reality of it has not set in, and quite frankly, my life has been pretty constant since I began working at UNA two years ago. I guess that means that there's not much surprise or change to be expected, although now I am credentialed and can look at the nameplate on my office door without shame. (It's said Dr. Infanger since I took occupancy of the office two years ago.) With this finished, I can now get back to the things that I have wanted to do, but always had the dissertation looming as an impenetrable barrier.
So, with not a little shame and embarrassment, I resume blogging about my fitness goals. I really like what my friend Goat has done with his blog, so I will attempt something similar.
It's been a long time since anyone has browsed this blog, so I enjoy relative anonymity again, but it's at least a place for me to keep a record of my own goals and achievements.
At present I weigh 205 pounds. I am heavier now than I have ever been in my life. My clothes don't fit, I am sluggish and tired much of the day, and I don't enjoy the way I feel. Even my Wii Fit calls me a couch potato.
This is a far cry from the person I was when I began this blog. I have fallen so far out of shape that I don't know how long it will take to get back into it, but I am going to get there by the end of the year.
I began running again last night. One mile, pushing my two youngest boys in the jogging stroller. I'll work up to four miles by the end of the week and hold it there for a while. I want to establish a habit of running for 30-45 minutes a day, and I think four miles will be pretty good for me, especially since the stretch of road I live on makes a nice 2-mile loop.
There's a lot more to catch up on, but I need to consider this blog like my exercise program and take it slowly to start. One mile last night, a little writing today. More tonight and tomorrow. Keep it going, but keep it manageable.

No comments: