Friday, March 14, 2008

Funny thing, rain

I was shaken out of bed at 5:30 this morning by the longest rumble of thunder I think I've ever heard in my life. I didn't sleep all that soundly all night for whatever reason, but as I would periodically regain consciousness I would hear the unmistakeable sound of rain on the roof. This sound, combined with mildly sore muscles from actually having begun running again only three days ago led me to the internal debate of --do I get up and exercise or stay in bed and call today a recovery day?
Fortunately, I wasn't the only person in the house who was awoken by the rumble of the thunder and by 5:45, I had three kids in bed next to me.
Anyone with kids understands that no matter how big your bed is, even one child makes sleeping impossible, so I did what any reasonable person would do: I got up and left my wife to try and sleep with the kids.
I was sorely tempted to choose one of the three abandoned beds and resume my rest/recovery day, but the desire to succeed at Leo's challenge won out and I went downstairs for 35 minutes on the rollers.
My bike misses me, and I need to do more yoga and riding to regain my balance. After all is said and done, I maintained a 90rpm cadence for 30 minutes or so, listened to my mp3 player, broke a sweat, and elevated my heart rate to about 135 for the duration.
That's a much more acceptable recovery/rest day than pretending the rain kept me from exercising.

No comments: