Monday, January 04, 2016

A plan for 2016

I was more than surprised when my wife gave me the go ahead to register for Ironman Florida 2016. The race is a Saturday race, it's six hours from home, and I had so much fun in Louisville that I couldn't resist the temptation to run another one.

I learned a few important things in my Ironman journey last year.

1- I have been blessed with a body capable of enduring this type of event.
2- I am inherently lazy.
3- I am too busy and or lazy to change #2 and train extensively for an Ironman at this point in my life.

I have to accept the fact that I simply don't have the time or the motivation to be a professional athlete. I honestly cannot expect to give more than ten hours in any week to train for the Ironman, but even more honestly, it's going to take a tremendous amount of effort for me to sustain 6 hours a week effort this year, but that's the amount of time I have, and I want to do the best I can with it.

I have joined a Facebook group of IMFlorida 2016 participants who are going to train 1 hour per day for 90 days, six days a week from January 1 to March 30.

My preferred sport is running. I have run just over 6 miles per day each day (except Sunday) since December 30.

The goal: finish Ironman Florida on November 5, 2016 in 12 hours by training consistently 6 to 10 hours per week.

I'll post running logs and other relevant (and some irrelevant) information here as it happens.

No comments: